Our Core Tenets
Every day at TOPS Products, we place importance on safety, accountability and community.
We commit to:
- Strive for an injury free workplace
- Comply with all applicable laws and regulations in the countries in which we operate
- Manage environmental aspects of our business to effectively and efficiently utilize natural resources where it is technically and economically feasible
- Manufacture, source, and distribute products that meet all applicable safety regulations
- Utilize management systems to promote continuous improvement
There are no shortcuts to ensuring the safety and well-being of our employees and customers.
To achieve our goal of zero injuries and zero environmental incidents, TOPS Products has strict, carefully-followed systems in place. We implement a comprehensive plan-do-check-act EHS management system on a daily basis, and keep our Recordable Incident Rate (RIR) incredibly low by consistently following our safety procedures.
The health and well-being of our employees has always been a high priority at TOPS Products, and COVID-19 ensured we put these principles into practice. This global pandemic has changed many things in the workplace, and we’ve had to work rigorously to protect our employees.
Through regular communications, informative facility signage, and other employee resources, we’ve kept our teams informed on ever-changing COVID protocols. We’ve implemented and continually review our best practices so that we can keep everyone healthy and safe.
Our commitment to operating ethically and lawfully is non-negotiable.
We follow stringent labor standards at our TOPS Products locations and with third party vendors in our supply chain. We will only do business with reputable entities who follow the same codes of conduct that we do, including following fair labor and trade practices and human rights practices.
We consider our responsibility to the environment and take practical actions in our manufacturing, administrative, and service facilities to minimize waste.
Our facilities focus on:
- Returning wood pallets to vendors for reuse
- Reusing the bubble wrap received as wrapping around our thermal papers
- Reusing paper cardboard wrappers and roll headers as packing material between layers
- Reusing polystyrene wrap to affix printed rolls on pallets
- Repairing and reusing broken/damaged pallets
- Reprocessing ink to new ink specifications or re-mixing it into the black inks
- Using end-of-roll paper as packing materials
- Using and laundering cloth shop towels
- Reclaiming silver from spent photo fixers
- Returning forklift batteries for recycling
- Recycling oil, plastic wrap, aluminum printing plates, CDs (shredded), end rolls (also used as packing materials), bare cores (cardboard), carbon interleave, bound and stapled waste, negatives, plastic wrap, add roll trim, paper tear off, and office paper
Environmental Labels and Claims
TOPS Products carries items qualified to display both the SFI Certified Sourcing and FSC Certified labels. The Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®) is an independent and internationally-recognized organization dedicated to promoting responsible forest management. The Certified Sourcing label simply means that the fiber used in the qualifying product meets SFI Certified Sourcing requirements and was obtained from responsible and legal sources.
The Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) is an international not-for-profit membership-based organization that promotes responsible management of the world’s forests. To use this label, companies involved in the production, manufacturing, processing, and trading of FSC-certified products must obtain FSC Chain of Custody certification in order to label products as FSC-certified.
We also follow the FTC-issued Guides for the Use of Environmental Marketing Claims to ensure the environmental claims we make about our products are truthful, transparent, substantiated claims, clarified in plain language, and compliant with the EPA and FTC.
Fostering Ethical Conduct
We are committed to working with customers and vendors who, like us, strive to achieve the highest standards of ethics and legal compliance. The enforcement of our own internal requirements shows the seriousness of our commitment.
We equip our employees with tools and information through training. TOPS Products employees must pass assessments in diversity and inclusion, harassment awareness, information security awareness, cybersecurity, antitrust compliance, ethical business conduct, ADA compliance, and more.
We have an Open Door Policy where any employee concern, complaint, or question will be addressed as quickly and fairly as is possible. Employees can take problems or questions to any level of supervision or management or they can call a confidential representative at 1-800-261-7639. Any form of retaliation or discrimination for voicing concerns will not be tolerated. More details can be found at www.lscopendoor.com.
We care deeply about the communities where we work and serve.
We support the communities where we live. Our employees volunteer at food pantries, participate in blood drives and fundraising walks, and support local, national, and global charities.
Here are just a few examples:
- Providing funding to City of Hope, a private, not-forprofit clinical research center, hospital, and graduate medical school in California.
- Sponsoring a sixth grade class through Project Lead the Way (PLTW), which creates transformative learning experiences for PreK-12 students and teachers across the U.S.
- Continually donating products and furniture to shelters, schools and non-profit organizations, including over $281,000 of items in 2020 to Feed My Starving Children (FMSC) who donates meals to food partners all over the world.